Monday, June 25, 2007

On How Jad Doesn't Speak Arabic

A: ...and like you know everyone here is kind of family and yet they speak a language that you don't and you don't belong to that part of their life. Isn't that difficult? Like even with languages I just meet someone like some Spanish person who I don't know that well, and they just speak a language--I feel bad you know like, man, I'm never going to get to know this person.

J: That's why going home will be a good thing.

A: Will you have time to learn Arabic probably not.

J: I'm going to be around the house.

A: Yeah you'll have it in your mind.

J: I'd have to take classes. That's why I was going to move to Lebanon before this whole war thing happened.

A: It's even worse now.

J: My dad would love for me to have a wife like that like that girl in the green there.

A: She wears a lot of makeup.

J: She does.

A: That's what Lebanese women look like right?

J: Some Lebanese women like--

A: Oh wait are you talking about--which one the one in the--Zena?

J: Yeah. My dad would love for me to have a wife like that, have a little daughter. It's crazy to have--the thing about her, that daughter is going to turn out to be a really beautiful girl, but also really like well-behaved. She's going to be unattainable you know. She might be a little slutty you know.

A: Maybe she will.

J: No. They're not raised that way. They know better.

A: But sometimes they rebel.

J: Rarely. Not with a mom like that you know. Not with the dad, the dad's a kind of powerful figure. He has to--like a man's man.

No comments: