Monday, June 25, 2007

Eyes and the Face

Talking about a girl who was the daughter of a friend of Jad's mom's.

J: I can't believe she's nine dude.

A: Yeah that happened to me the other day like my mom's friend like uh said like "Yeah she's in high school." I'm like, "That's incredible, like I remember when you didn't have a kid." She's like driving and stuff.

J: Wow.

A: Isn't that crazy like within our lifetime that's already happened. That was like the first time I ever recognized that that's happened.

J: Like I have cousins now that are like eleven and they're all about LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers you know. And they're coming over you know. And I'm like, "They're eleven?!" I remember going to Canada and like picking them up when they were babies and like being scared shitless cause I grabbed one and hit it on its head you know and being like "Oh my god. Oh god." They're funny kids and now they're all tough and big eleven year olds.

A: Kinda scary huh? Now they're gonna kick your ass.

J: Yeah. Now they're gonna kick my ass.

A: They'll be like, "I remember when you hit me on the head."

J: They're like this big. They're probably going to be punching me and shit. They're going to be bigger than me like six three, six four. Huge boys. Huge.

A: So is like LeBron James like the Michael Ja--the Michael Jordan of their generation.

J: Yeah yeah like I think they like the Cavaliers because of LeBron

A: I thought he played for Miami or something.

J: No, that's Dwayne Wade. See they're--the NBA is looking for its Face right the Face of the NBA. There's no like--there aren't many leagues where you need a Face. And they've always needed a Face you know like.

A: That's true huh. Well cause Michael Jordan kind of set the precedent didn't he. He was just like so good that he--

J: Well even before that even before that the Face of the NBA was--

AR: What about Barry Bonds?

A: Yeah but people hate him. Nobody hated Michael Jordan.

J: Yeah. Well even before Michael Jordan it was like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

A: Yeah yeah there were a couple and then like Dr. J and like uh--

J: --everyone knew Larry Bird and Magic Johnson you know. And then the sport transcended into you know like the world with Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan became the Face of the NBA for the World.

A: You know the logo [of the NBA], how it was based on an actual person?

J: Yeah, Jerry West. They call him "The Logo."

A: I thought it was um like some some W his last name started with a W.

J: West, West, Jerry West.

A: No like--

J: Wilt Chamberlain?

A: Chamberlain yeah.

J: No he's--he's a big--big Black guy. Jerry West used to play for the Lakers he like set a bunch of insane records. An insane scorer yeah. He was like the original wide scorer.

A: Really? So they're looking for a guy who can be the Face of the NBA?

J: Yeah for the world really someone who's really like--

A: Alan Iverson?

J: --somebody you know. Yeah everyone--see, guys come and go like the actual--the guy who can take on all the pressure, is very charismatic you know, that puts on two faces, the guy who manipulates his own organization to win, but the guy who--he also is in front of the media and he's like semi-personable and they don't really get into his personal life. But then on court he's like an amazing player you know. LeBron Ja--

A: What about Wallace?

J: Ben Wallace? Rashid Wallace? No dude, that guy's a thug.

A: Remember that time when he's like, "We will win game 2." That was awesome. I like loved him so much after that.

J: And they did. They did. Yeah that was on their route to winning an NBA title.

A: And then they like--after the game they were like, "Will you guarantee another win?" He was like, "No." Just like shut down. Like, "I just wanted to guarantee game 2."

No comments: